Thursday, April 7, 2011

When We Hurt

It’s a funny thing; I can still remember the time I came to know Christ shortly after having to deal with a very painful chapter in my life. I remember the feeling of bliss as I experienced Christ’s love for me, drinking it in as much as I could, never thinking that pain would come my way once more. But I have known pain since becoming a believer. And I continue to hurt because what I realize now is this, we believers are called to continue to suffer, because until the day the Lord returns we continue to live in a fallen world with fallen people who can hurt our fallen flesh. My question is this, how do I glorify God when hurt comes my way?

This topic has come up a lot lately, and as usual, God has caused me to think on my own relationships that have caused me much grief. Why did I feel wounded, and how did I respond? I wish I could say I responded in a Holy manner; however it shames me to say I often responded in less then constructive ways, more over often in sinful ways.

The one relationship that comes to mind (and for the sake of grace, I’ll leave out who this person is), is one where I continue to struggle in. This person often says hurtful things to others about me, shows little consideration for me, and blames me for much of their life choices. Needless to say, I have struggled with feelings of bitterness, contentment and at times hatred for this person. So, as one can imagine, I certainly have not always responded in ways of that would glorify the Lord.

Over the years I have responded by being defensive, or attacking them. At times I have ignored the problem, or have even blamed myself for the way they have treated me. I have shunned them, and have called it a “healthy boundary”. I have even slandered their name and simply called it “seeking council”. Over the years I have acquired this set of tools in order to try to protect my self from the hurt. The interesting thing about these tools is they have done very little to shield me from the pain, and if anything have put a wall between the very healing that only Christ can offer.

So how do we live in a world where pain and persecution is at every turn? I think the first step is to trade in the glasses of the world for Kingdom lenses. The apostle Paul tells us that “indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted” (1Tim.3:12). We should expect that people will persecute us, after all Christ was persecuted. And even if we suffer, we should then find contentment for His sake (2 Corinthians 12:10). We need to realize that since we have died to ourselves, and it is Christ who lives in us (Gal.2:20) that when others attack us, it is Christ first and foremost whom they attack (John15:18).

After we have reshaped our view of the world through Kingdom lenses, we should seek to respond to persecution, attacks, and hurt in the very way Christ has shown us. In the Gospels, we see Jesus confronting sin, however never without grace and always with mercy offered. It also appears that despite their response to Christ, He continues to loves them, offering the greatest gift of love – His own life.

Finally, we are given great instruction from the Apostles on how to treat those that harm us. We are to follow the example given in 1 Peter 2:23 which says not even the Lord Jesus reviled in return, though insults were thrown at Him. In Romans 12 we are told we should bless those that curse us and never repay evil with evil, and in as much as we possibly can – keep peace. Further we are instructed to love our enemy (Luke 6:27) pray for him (Matt.5:44), and forgive them (Colo.3:13). We can do so knowing that it does not mean God is not a God of Justice, for God declares that vengeance is His (Rom.12). He will judge rightly on that last Day of Atonement, so we need not be the judges of here and now.

Glorifying God when being persecuted or harmed by others is not an easy task. We will fail from time to time as we continue to contend with our flesh, yet thankfully Christ offers to us His mercy and grace. The very purpose of responding like Christ during these trials it is so all the world may see Him, simply put, another way we proclaim His name. And, if our one and great commission is to go out and make disciples, we will do so not just by passing out Bibles or serving on Sunday mornings, but through how we respond to hurt.

Lord, let me be your servant who desires to pour out all of me! Let my eyes be glued to Your Kingdom that I may not be so easily offended. Help me to not be so consumed with ME that I create walls that only hinder instead of heal. May I seek you to be my protector and my avenger. Remind me that I too am a sinner, undeserving of your grace and love, but it is for your Glory that you choose to love us all, including my enemy. Create in me to be a peacemaker, help me to love freely, and offer nothing but blessings to those who harm me. In the end, Lord, may the world see you, not me. And Lord, forgive me for my sin as I have not always treated those with love, kindness, and grace.

In your Son’s Holy Name,
Amen

1 comment:

SDSali said...

A really well thought out guide for dealing emotionally and spiritually with those who repeatedly hurt you. Thank you for your thoughts Emily.